Roasted Chicken with Apple Cider Pan Gravy
Flavors of Fall abound in this delightful chicken recipe.
- 1 whole chicken, about 5 – 6 pounds
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 apple, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 medium celery root
- 1 firm, sweet apple (Fuji or Cameo are good choices)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 jarred chestnuts, halved
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place herbs and apple into cavity of chicken, tie legs together and
place in roasting pan. Pour 1 cup stock and cider around chicken. Roast
chicken for 18-20 minutes for each pound (about 2 hours for a six pound
- Peel celery root and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Cut apple into thirds
lengthwise, and then cut each third in half crosswise. Season with salt
- Add the second cup of stock to the roasting pan about one hour into
roasting time. Ten minutes later, scatter vegetables around chicken.
Sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper onto chicken. Add chestnuts. With a
large spoon, turn vegetables to coat in pan juices. Baste chicken.
- In a small bowl, place softened butter and add flour. With the back
of a spoon, press butter against the side of the bowl to combine well.
All flour should be incorporated into butter to form a paste or a beurre
- Chicken is done roasting when an instant-read thermometer inserted
in the deepest part of the thigh registers 180 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from oven and place on a carving board. Cover with
foil. Remove vegetables from pan and reserve. Note: Vegetables
should be tender. Place back in oven if not soft when pierced with a
- Place roasting pan on stovetop, add 1/2 cup stock and 1 cup apple
cider and bring to a boil. Adding a little at a time, whisk butter/flour
mixture into liquid. Whisk or stir until sauce is smooth and slightly
- Carve chicken, serving vegetables alongside. Spoon pan gravy over
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional Information, Per Serving: 630 calories; 30 g fat; 9 g
saturated fat; 560 mg sodium; 31 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 19 g sugars; 58
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Chicken Council
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Baked Chicken Recipes