Rosemary Roast Chicken
Ready to take plain roast chicken up a notch? Try this honey-and-rosemary roasted
version, tastily trimmed with thick slices of squash and onion.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3- to 3 1/2-lb whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds buttercup or acorn squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rings or slices, then cut crosswise in half
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch wedges (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Fold wings of chicken under back.
- Tie or skewer drumsticks together.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Arrange squash and onions around chicken.
- In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; brush on chicken and vegetables
just until evenly coated.
- Reserve remaining butter mixture.
- Insert meat thermometer in chicken so tip is in thickest part of inside
thigh muscle and does not touch bone.
- Roast uncovered 1 hour.
- Brush remaining butter mixture on chicken and vegetables.
- Cover loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes longer or until thermometer reads 180 degrees F, juice
of chicken is no longer pink when center of thigh is cut and squash is tender.
Prep Time 20 Mins | Total Time 2 Hr 15 Min | Yield: 6 servings
Cube any leftover chicken and add to Traditional Bread Dressing
for a quick one-dish meal.
Add steamed broccoli spears or green beans to make your meal complete.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Betty Crocker/© 2010 ®/TM General Mills
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Baked Chicken Recipes