Sage Chicken with Black Walnuts
Chicken breasts are filled with a black walnut, sage and apple mixture, rolled,
and poached until browned on top.
- 1 cup Hammons Black Walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sage, fresh or dried leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup apple, Jonathan or other tart cooking apple, grated
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, pounded flat
- 1/4 cup Durkee Red Hot Sauce (do not substitute)
- 14 ounces chicken broth, canned, double strength
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Fresh sage and fresh sage flowers for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In blender or food processor, grind Black Walnuts with sage, salt and pepper
until black walnut pieces are 1/8 in size.
- Remove from blender and combine with grated apple to form a paste.
- Spread 1/4 of paste on the bottom of each chicken breast, covering evenly.
- Carefully roll each breast into a lengthwise roll and secure with a toothpick.
Place toothpick side down in ovenproof skillet.
- Generously coat the chicken rolls with the Red Hot and sprinkle with salt and
- Add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and poach in the oven for 30 minutes or until
the chicken rolls are cooked in the middle and browned on top.
- Remove the breasts and place on a cutting board and add 1/4 of the remaining
broth to the skillet.
- Reduce the pan drippings almost completely.
- Just as they are turning brown, add another 1/4 of the chicken broth and deglaze
- Mix remaining broth with the flour (be sure it has no lumps) and stir into the
skillet. Continue stirring over medium heat until the sauce is thickened and the
flour taste has disappeared.
- Correct the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Carefully remove the toothpicks from the chicken breasts, and while holding carefully,
slice in half. Keep the roll intact as much as possible.
- Arrange cut rolls on serving platter, fanning each roll so the black walnut filling
- Cover with foil and return to the oven until chicken has regained its warmth.
- Just before serving, spoon sauce over each breast individually, and garnish with
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.