Spanek Roasted Chicken
This recipe uses the Spanek vertical roaster, which is available at gourmet and
cookware shops and poultry stores. For a darker skin, brush with oil before cooking,
or cook an extra five to ten minutes. Carving this upright chicken is a lot easier
than carving a standard chicken.
- 1 (3 1/2) pound frying chicken
- 1 tablespoon herb seasoning mix, such as herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon salt (if no salt in seasoning mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (if no pepper in seasoning mix)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup chicken stock or wine
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Remove giblets and was and dry chicken.
- Mix seasonings and oil in small bowl.
- Rub inside the cavity of the chicken, in between joints and around neck
area, but don't loosen skin on the breasts (the juices collect here while
roasting and keep the breast meat moist).
- Put the chicken upright on the vertical roaster, making sure the top of
the roaster pokes through the neck cavity.
- Put the chicken in a small roasting pan (a deep-dish pizza pan lined with
foil works well).
- Add stock to a depth of 1/8 to 1/4 inches.
- Put chicken in the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 400 degrees F and cook for an additional
30 to 35 minutes, until juices run clear or temperature reaches 160 degrees
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine May 19, 2001.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Baked Chicken Recipes