Spicy Chicken Phyllo Rolls
Chicken, sour cream, raisins and spices come together in flaky phyllo rolls with this recipe.
Prep: 30 min | Bake: 30 min | Yield: 32 small rolls
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bottle Mexican beer
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onion, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 (9 x 14 inch) rolls Athens® Phyllo Dough, thawed
- Thaw two rolls of phyllo dough, following thawing instructions on package.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet, bring broth and beer to a boil. Add chicken breasts, then lower heat and simmer, for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Dice chicken into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In another medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, curry, coriander, and cayenne pepper, and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion mixture, sour cream, raisins, brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Unroll and cover phyllo with plastic wrap and then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with 2 tablespoons oil. Layer 5 phyllo sheets, brushing each with the butter–oil mixture.
- Cut the width of layered phyllo into 4 strips. Place about 1 tablespoon of filling at one end of phyllo strip, leaving 1 inch from end and 1/2 inch from each side free of any filling. Fold phyllo up over the filling to form a roll. Fold side edges in to enclose the sides. Roll up to the end of phyllo strip. Brush outside of roll with butter–oil mixture. Repeat process three times to make 30 rolls.
- Bake seam side down, at least 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serve with plain yogurt or your favorite jarred chutneys such as Sherwood’s Green Label Mango and Ginger Chutney and Swad Coriander Chutney.