Sweet and Sour Chicken 2
- 6 half chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Coat chicken with flour and brown in oil in skillet.
- Remove to roasting pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain pineapple, pouring juice into a 2-cup measure.
- Add water to make 1 1/4 cups.
- In saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce,
ginger and bouillon cube. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes;
then pour over chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Baste occasionally.
- Add pineapple and green pepper.
- Bake 30 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender.
- Place chicken on serving platter, on rice bed if desired, and pour pan juices
and pieces of pineapple and green pepper over chicken.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings