Thick and Spicy Barbecue Chicken
1 (2 1/2 pound) frying chicken, skinned and cut into 8 pieces
- 2/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13-x 9-inch baking pan with vegetable
- While ribs are simmering, prepare the marinade.
- In a large, shallow glass
or ceramic dish, combine the ketchup, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, garlic, thyme,
and red pepper. Mix well.
- To prepare sauce, in a small saucepan, combine chili sauce, vinegar, water,
onion, Worcestershire sauce, oil, mustard, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 10
- Place chicken in prepared pan. Brush half of sauce over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered,
until no longer pink and juices run clear when meat is pierced with the tip
of a knife, about 45 minutes. Brush with remaining sauce every 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings