- 1 deli-roasted whole chicken, deboned and shredded
- 8 ounces Monterey jack
or cheddar cheese (or a combination of both), shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh
cilantro leaves, packed
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded, de-ribbed and
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 (10-inch) flour or whole wheat tortillas
- Softened butter
- Sour cream for
- Commercial salsa for accompaniment (or Pico de Gallo)
- In a bowl combine the deboned and shredded chicken, cheese, red onion, green
onion, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno peppers and fresh lime. Season to taste
with salt and pepper.
- To assemble and cook a quesadilla, spread or brush the softened butter on
one side of two tortillas. Place one tortilla butter-side down in a medium-heated
10-inch or larger skillet. Spread 1/4 of the chicken mixture on top of the tortilla
and top with the remaining tortilla, butter-side up. Cook until the bottom tortilla
is nice and golden brown, using a pancake turner, carefully turn the quesadilla
over and cook until nicely golden brown.
- Repeat process 3 more times with remaining
tortillas and chicken mixture.
- To serve, cut each quesadilla into 8 wedges and serve with a dollop of sour
cream and salsa on the side.
Makes 4 main course servings or 32 appetizers