Chicken and Dumplings 3
- 1 fryer or stewing hen
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, rough chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Chicken: Put the chicken and giblets, if desired, into a large pot. Add water to
cover. Bring to a boil, and lower heat to keep chicken at a low boil.
- Add the onion.
- Stew chicken for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until done, adding more water as needed.
- Remove chicken to platter and let cool.
- Add the other vegetables to the broth and maintain at a low boil.
- When chicken is cool, bone and skin it. Tear or cut the chicken into bite-size
pieces and add to the stew.
- Raise heat to bring a high boil while you prepare the dumplings.
- Dumplings: Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut the shortening into this mixture until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Tir in milk to make a very soft dough.
- Drop the dough by spoonsful into the boiling stew, taking care to drop it on
the meat or the vegetables - not directly into the broth.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and cook 10 minutes longer.