Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 chicken
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 4 quarts water
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken gravy
- 5 cups Bisquick
- 2 cups milk
- Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- Wash chicken well in cold water. Cut up chicken. Season well.
- Lightly brown chicken in a large pot.
- Add the water to pot and boil until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Turn off heat and let stand in the broth.
- While chicken is cooking, mix Bisquick and milk (according to directions
on package). Mix well (add more Bisquick if needed). Dough should be of stiff
- Separate dough in 4 equal parts. Roll out each on a well-floured
flat surface to 1/4-inch thickness (be generous with flour). Cut into 2-inch
squares. When all have been cut, sprinkle with flour.
- Carefully remove chicken to another pot and cover with lid. Return pot to
fast boil, add chicken gravy and stir.
- Dip 4 or 5 cups of the broth from the pot and put in the pot with chicken.
- Drop dumplings into broth, 1 at a time, stirring
after every 3 or 4 dumplings. Stir all the way to bottom. Reduce heat to slow
boil. Cook until dumplings are tender (about 25-30 minutes.; liquid should be
thick). Stir occasionally all the way to the bottom.
- Serve in shallow bowl, sprinkled with fresh, coarse-ground black pepper.