Chicken 'n' Dumplings
These dumplings will absolutely melt in your mouth!
- 1 large chicken
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour
- Cook chicken in water seasoned with onion and celery until tender. Save broth.
- When chicken is cool, de-bone and cut into serving-size pieces. Set aside.
- To make dumplings: Melt butter and margarine in the boiling water.
- Add 2 cups sifted flour to which salt has been added. Stir and cook until mixture leaves side of pan, a short time. Cool slightly.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, and stir well after each addition.
- Pat out in thirds with floured hands and rolling pin. Cut dough into thick strips, about 1 x 2 inches.
- Thicken broth with 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour mixed in a jar with 1/2 cup water. Shake until lumps
are gone. Pour into hot broth, stirring constantly until thickened slightly.
- Add chicken.
- Drop dumplings into boiling broth and cook until done (a very short time).
Yield: 10 servings