Best Fried Chicken
The chicken marinates in spicy buttermilk for several hours, while the dredging mixture has an impressive list of spices. You can't go wrong with this recipe for Best Fried Chicken.
- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Hot Sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, hot sauce (optional, for added flavor), salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Add chicken pieces. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, pour the vegetable oil into a skillet to about 3/4 inch deep. Heat to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the breading by combining the flour, cornstarch, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, white pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and salt in a gallon size resealable plastic bag or shallow dish. Mix it thoroughly.
- Working one at a time, remove chicken pieces from buttermilk mixture. Shake it gently to remove the excess. Place it in the breading mix and coat thoroughly. Tap off the excess.
- Place the breaded chicken into the 350 degrees F oil. Fry 3 or 4 pieces at a time. The chicken will drop the temperature of the oil so keep it as close to 350 degrees as possible. Fry each piece for 14 minutes, turning each piece about half way through, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the oil and place on paper towels. Let chicken rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.