Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Adjust the seasonings to your own taste. You can easily omit the Old Bay seasoning,
Tabasco sauce, onion and garlic, if desired, and you will have the basic Buttermilk Fried
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pound) chicken, cut up
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Combine buttermilk, Old Bay, Tabasco sauce, onion, garlic, salt and
pepper. Pour over chicken and allow to marinate for 2 hours.
- Pour flour onto large plate. Remove chicken breasts from marinade
and coat with flour. Place floured chicken on wax paper and refrigerate
for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and allow to warm to room
temperature (about 15 minutes).
- In a large frying pan or skillet, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Cook chicken for about 7 to 10 minutes per side until brown and
- Drain chicken breasts on paper towels.