Chicken Nuggets with Dipping Sauces
With this recipe, you have your choice of five homemade dipping sauces!
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 chicken breast fillets, each cut into 5 or 6 pieces
Pineapple Dipping Sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced or crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup pineapple orange juice
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
Honey Mustard Dip
- 1 part honey
- 1 part mustard
- 1 part mayonnaise
Hot Mustard Dip
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons Heinz 57 sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon Heinz 57 sauce
- 3 tablespoons prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Raspberry or Blackberry Mustard Sauce
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries or blackberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Chicken Nuggets: Beat the egg and then combine it with 1 cup water in a
small, shallow bowl. Stir.
- Combine the flour, salt, onion powder,
black pepper and garlic powder in a one gallon size zip-type bag.
- Pound each of the breast fillets with a mallet until about 1/4-inch thick.
Trim each breast fillet into bite size pieces.
- Coat each piece with
the flour mixture by shaking in the zip-type bag. Remove and dredge each
nugget in the egg mixture, coating well.
- Return each nugget to the
flour/seasoning mixture. Shake to coat. Put nuggets, bag and all, in the
freezer for at least one hour.
- Cover and refrigerate remaining egg mixture.
- After freezing, repeat the above coating process.
- Deep fry the nuggets at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes (or longer depending
upon their size) or until browned and crispy (cook only about 9 at a time.)
OR, you can use an air fryer per manufacturer's instructions if you
don't care to deep fry in oil.
- Drain on brown paper bags (NEVER drain
fried foods on paper towels unless you want them to be soft and soggy!).
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
- Pineapple Dipping Sauce: Pour
undrained pineapple into the blender until thick puree. Pour this into
saucepan and add cornstarch; blend. Add pineapple orange juice and barbecue
sauce; blend. Bring to a boil, then simmer until sauce thickens. Serve warm
- Honey-Mustard Dip: Mix all ingredients together well.
- Hot Mustard Dip: Mix all, cover and refrigerate to use within 30 days.
- Sweet and Sour Sauce: Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for up to 2
- Raspberry or Blackberry Mustard Sauce: Mash raspberries or
blackberries, mustard and honey together well in a small bowl.