Dixie Fried Chicken
- 1 frying chicken
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Cut up chicken into pieces. Place in a bowl. Pour buttermilk over chicken
and marinate for 2 hours in refrigerator.
- In another bowl, combine flour, parsley, salt, thyme and pepper Remove chicken
from buttermilk (pour buttermilk from marinating chicken in shallow baking dish).
- Roll chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- Heat shortening and butter in heavy skillet. Brown chicken pieces on all
sides, a few at a time, over medium to high heat.
- Place chicken pieces on top of buttermilk in baking dish. Add chicken broth
to skillet. Scrape up browned bits. Strain and pour around chicken in baking
- Bake chicken, uncovered, at 375 degrees F until crisp and tender, about