Fried chicken was once called Gospel Bird. It was called that because it was
most often served on Sundays, once a week.
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) fryer, cut into pieces
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3/4 cup flour
- Wash chicken and let it drain well. Put enough vegetable oil in a large
skillet to a depth of 1-inch. Heat oil on medium high setting.
- Salt chicken liberally. Pepper to taste.
- Put flour in a bag and shake each piece of chicken individually to coat
- When oil is hot, place chicken in skillet; don't crowd pieces. Cook
on one side until light brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Lower heat to simmer and cover. Cook covered 5 to 7 minutes. Return heat
to medium-high and finish.