Maryland Fried Chicken
- 6 strips bacon
- Butter or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) frying chicken
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Cut up chicken.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet until brown on both sides. Remove bacon, drain
on paper towels, and set aside.
- Add enough butter or oil to bacon drippings to make 1 inch of fat in skillet.
- Dump 3/4 cup flour, salt and pepper into a paper bag and shake it well.
Drop in the chicken pieces and shake to coat the chicken.
- When fat is bubbling hot (but not brown), add chicken pieces and fry until
browned on all sides.
- Now cover skillet, reduce heat, and cook over low heat for about 25 minutes
or until tender when tested with a fork.
- Transfer chicken to a hot platter and keep warm. Pour off all but 4 tablespoons
of the fat, stir in the 2 tablespoons flour, and cook a few minutes.
- Pour in the half-and-half. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth
and thick. season to taste. Pour sauce over the hot chicken and garnish with
Yield: 4 servings