Oven-Fried Ranch Chicken
Mmm! No-muss, no-fuss, delicious chicken that's "fried" in your
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 packages (1 oz each) ranch dressing mix
- 1 cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 pouch (6.5 oz) Betty Crocker® cornbread &
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Fresh parsley sprigs for garnish, if desired
- In large resealable food-storage plastic bag, mix buttermilk, dressing mix and
chicken. Seal bag; turn bag several times to coat chicken. Refrigerate at least
1 hour or overnight.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In shallow dish, mix breading ingredients. Remove chicken pieces one at a time
from buttermilk mixture. Dip chicken into breading, turning to coat completely;
shake off excess. Place chicken, bone side down, in pan. Lightly spray top of chicken
with cooking spray.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece
is cut to bone (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks).
- Garnish with parsley sprigs.
Prep Time: 10 min | Start to Finish: 1 hr 50 min | Makes: 4 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
Substitution: If you don't have buttermilk on hand, pour 2 tablespoons white
vinegar or lemon juice into a 2-cup measuring cup and add enough regular milk to
measure 2 cups. Stir, then let stand for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 610 (Calories from Fat 210); Total
Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 135mg; Sodium 1770mg; Total
Carbohydrate 51g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 18g); Protein 49g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 25%; Iron 40%
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Vegetable;
5 Lean Meat; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Betty Crocker/© 2008 ®/TM General Mills