Southern Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy
- 1 frying chicken, cut up
- All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Solid vegetable shortening
- 2 cups light cream
- Shake moist pieces of chicken, a few at a time, in a paper bag with 1/2
cup flour, the salt and the pepper until thoroughly coated.
- Melt equal amounts of butter and shortening to 1/2 inch depth in large,
heavy covered skillet. Put in chicken; cover and brown quickly in hot fat on
- Reduce heat and continue frying slowly 25 minutes, turning once or twice.
Remove cover during last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove chicken. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan; stir in 2
tablespoons flour. Add cream gradually, stirring constantly. Season and cook