Southern Fried Chicken
- 1 fryer, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 egg
- Milk or buttermilk
- Vegetable oil or solid shortening
- Butter (optional)
- Salt fryer pieces; cover well and refrigerate overnight.
- Beat egg and add milk or buttermilk. Dip salted fryer pieces into the mixture,
making sure they are completely covered.
- Dredge in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper.
- Place in a skillet filled with hot vegetable oil and fry, uncovered over
medium heat, until chicken is tender and golden brown on both sides. Make sure
chicken is not crowded while frying.
- Drain well and serve.
The vegetable oil or shortening should be very deep to properly fry the
chicken. The addition of a small amount of butter to the oil adds special flavor
and a golden color. Watch to be sure the butter does not burn, however.