Island Lime Chicken and Rice
- 1 frying chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons light rum
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) package long-grain and wild rice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped, salted cashews
- Brown chicken well in oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat; season with
salt and pepper.
- Combine corn syrup, lime peel, lime juice and rum; pour over chicken. Reduce
heat, cover and cook over low heat until chicken is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, bring broth to a boil in medium saucepan.
- Stir in contents of rice and seasoning packets; bring to a boil. Cover tightly; cook
over low heat until all liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in cashews.
- Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
- Remove excess fat from pan drippings with paper toweling.
- Bring pan drippings
to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until reduced to glaze consistency.
- Arrange rice and chicken on serving platter.
- Spoon glaze over chicken.
Yield: 6 servings