Spanish Chicken 'n' Rice
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 4 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe and/or pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cut chicken pieces in half lengthwise where the bone was removed.
- In a 12-inch skillet, cook chicken in hot oil until brown on both sides.
Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, water, rice, bouillon granules, chili powder,
cinnamon and cumin in a large saucepan. Bring to boiling.
- Turn rice mixture
into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Arrange chicken on top. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes or until chicken and rice are
- Sprinkle with olives and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer.
Yield: 8 servings