Teriyaki Chicken Pineapple Boats
- 1 cup pineapple chunks with juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Cut pineapple in half lengthwise including the leaves in the cut.
- Scoop out the insides leaving 1/2 – 3/4 inch thickness along the outside edges.
- Rice: Chop the pineapple very fine.
- Add 1 cup of pineapple and juice into a sauce pan.
- Add 1 cup water, salt, butter and sugar to sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add rice and simmer on low until rice is fully cooked.
- You may need to add more water a little at a time to get the correct doneness.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the chicken.
- Chicken: Combine garlic, low sodium soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar and ginger in a small bowl.
- Add chopped chicken to sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Add chicken to the pan reserving the teriyaki sauce.
- Brown chicken on all sides.
- After chicken is browned, add the teriyaki sauce. Cook until sauce is reduced and thickened. Sauce will coat the chicken as it thickens.
- Spoon pineapple rice in half of the hollowed-out pineapple boat. Fill the other half with teriyaki chicken.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and rice noodles.
Yield: 2 boats