Ancho Citrus Chicken Kabobs with Guava Glaze
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 24 (1-inch) pieces red bell pepper
- 8 lime wedges
- 3 tablespoons guava or apricot jam, melted
Pineapple Mango Salsa
- 3/4 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 3/4 cup diced peeled mango
- 1 avocado, peeled, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In large bowl, combine orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, cumin and 1
teaspoon salt; whisk until blended.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons marinade.
- Add chicken to marinade remaining in bowl; mix to coat.
- Cover and marinate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat stovetop ridged grill pan over medium heat or preheat broiler.
- Drain chicken, discarding used marinade.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt, smoked paprika, chile powder and cayenne over
chicken and toss to coat.
- Thread chicken onto eight skewers, alternating with pieces of red bell pepper
and lime wedges.
- Grill chicken over medium heat on stovetop ridged grill pan or broil for
5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- For glaze, whisk together guava jam and 1 tablespoon reserved marinade;
brush over chicken.
- Meanwhile for salsa, combine all salsa ingredients with 2 tablespoons reserved
marinade; mix well.
- Serve chicken skewers with salsa.
- Garnish with orange slices and cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo credit: National Chicken Council.