Apricot Chicken Tajine
Preventing heart disease starts right in the kitchen.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 4 small, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic 15 mL
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger 15 mL
- 1 tablespoon turmeric 15 mL
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 5 mL
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 5 mL
- 1 saffron thread (optional)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth 250 mL
- 1 cup dried apricots, halved 250 mL
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) garbanzo beans
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes 250 mL
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped, toasted 125 mL
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro 30 mL
- In tagine or large saucepan, add canola oil and brown chicken breasts 3-5 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic, and ginger. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric, nutmeg, cinnamon, saffron and vegetable broth. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add apricots, beans and tomatoes. Bring to simmer again and add chicken breasts.
- Set stovetop to low heat, cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until chicken is
- Serve over couscous. Garnish with toasted cashews and cilantro.
4 servings; serving size: 1 chicken breast
Nutritional analysis Per Serving (couscous not included): Calories 570 Total
Fat 18.5 g Saturated Fat 3 g Cholesterol 68 mg Carbohydrates 62 g Fiber 8.5 g Protein
39 g Sodium 330 mg
Recipe and photo credit: CanolaInfo.org