Braised Chicken with Papaya
This tropical chicken dish is one of the simplest to prepare. Pair it with basmati
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch lengthwise strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large papaya, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Basmati Rice (follow package directions for 4 servings)
- Garnish: freshly
ground pepper and sprigs of fresh cilantro
- Combine the flour and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Flour the chicken by lightly pressing both sides of each chicken strip into
the flour mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Arrange the chicken strips in a single layer; cook for 2 minutes on each
side, or until they are lightly browned but not cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to medium and pour the chicken broth over the chicken.
- Place the papaya slices atop the chicken.
- Cover and cook for about 8 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly done.
- To serve, spread a mound of rice on each of 4 plates.
- Top with the chicken strips and papaya slices.
- Drizzle with the chicken broth, sprinkle with pepper, garnish and serve
Yield: 4 servings