Chicken and Artichokes with Pasta
Combine three shades of green in this healthy pasta dish. It’s so good and so
good for you that it will quickly become a staple meal!
- 1/4 of 16 ounce (455 g) package dry whole-grain spaghetti noodles, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided 30 mL
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
breasts, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 can (13.75-ounces/390 g) quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 3 medium
cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (about 1 ounce/28 g) packed baby spinach 250 mL
cup chopped fresh basil leaves 125 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 mL
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce/28 g)
grated Parmesan cheese 60 mL
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any salt or fat.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium
heat, tilting to coat bottom.
- Add chicken and cook 4 minutes or until slightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add artichokes and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until chicken
is no longer pink in the center and juices run clear.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining canola oil and garlic to skillet, and cook 15 seconds over
- Remove from heat; add drained pasta, chicken mixture, spinach, basil, and
salt. Toss gently, yet thoroughly, to blend.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
Yield: 4 servings
Fresh tip: Adding the spinach leaves and basil at the very end allows the leaves
to wilt slightly while retaining their vibrant color and flavor.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Serving size: 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) Calories
310 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 55mg Sodium 70mg Carbohydrates 24g
Fibre 4g Protein 26g
Source: The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes
Made with Canola Oil from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo
Recipes and photograph used with permission from