Chicken with Golden Raisins, Green Olives and Lemon
- 1 whole chicken (3.5 – 4 pounds), cut into eight parts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 (2-inch) stick cinnamon
- 2 lemons, one juiced and the other sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed Spanish olives
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large nonstick pan or Dutch oven, warm oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces to pan
and brown on all sides, turning at least once. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium. Add to pan garlic, turmeric, ginger and cinnamon
stick; cook, stirring constantly, for 15 seconds.
- Pour lemon juice and stock into pan, stirring to scrape up browned bits.
- Place chicken back in pan. Add potatoes, carrot slices, raisins, olives
and lemon slices to pan around the chicken pieces. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover pan and place in hot oven
for 45 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, or until cooked
- Serve immediately with parsley-flecked couscous.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional Information, Per Serving: 540 calories; 25 g fat; 6 g
saturated fat; 37 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 40 g protein
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
National Chicken Council
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.