Chicken and Mushrooms with White Wine Cream Sauce
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 or 3 boneless whole chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup butter + 1 tablespoon butter (for separate use)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 whole stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/3 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups hot chicken broth or bouillon
- 1/2 cup milk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and sear in 1/2 cup of butter until almost done. Remove from sauté pan and let rest.
- In the same sauté pan combine onion, celery and bay leaf and cook until onions are translucent.
- Next add mushrooms and white wine and cook until wine is reduced by half.
- Add chicken broth or bouillon, milk, lemon juice and heavy cream. Let simmer until mushrooms soften.
- Remove bay leaf. Whisk in flour and remaining butter. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken. Simmer until done.
Tip: Substitute chicken with either steak or veal. (If using steak or veal, we suggest substituting chicken broth with beef broth or bouillon.)
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Southwest Dairy Farmers