- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped chicken or turkey
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons sweet butter, melted
- Vegetable oil, as needed for frying
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- Cut crusts off bread and reserve for another use. Soak bread in milk for
10 minutes. Squeeze dry and shred.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups chicken or turkey, bread, onions,
eggs, thyme, salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Place mixture in a food processor with the steel blade. Using pulse action,
process until mixture is well blended but not pureed.
- Fold in remaining cup of chicken or turkey. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Combine bread crumbs, parsley, paprika and melted butter in a pie plate.
Stir well with a fork.
- Shape chilled turkey mixture into 6 large patties.
- Coat in bread crumb mixture and return, covered, to refrigerator for 1 more
- Place about 1/2 cup oil and 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook patties, 3 at a time, 7 minutes on one side, 5 minutes on other side.
They should be golden.
- Keep warm in 300 degree F oven and repeat with remaining patties.
- Serve hot, with gravy if desired.
Yield: 6 large croquettes
These may be frozen. Reheat in a hot oven.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 14, 2001.