Citrus Chicken with Tarragon and Mustard
Here is a quick and easy supper with the fresh taste of lemon, earthiness of
tarragon and zing of mustard. Canola oil blends all of the flavours together beautifully.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 60 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper 2 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon
dry mustard 2 mL
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 oz / 125 g each)
tablespoons canola oil, divided 30 mL
- 1/4 cup finely diced shallots 60 mL
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 30 mL
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon 5 mL
- 1/4 cup freshly
squeezed lemon juice 60 mL
- (or 1 tablespoon/15 mL concentrated lemon juice
- plus 2 tablespoons/30 mL water)
- 1 tablespoon honey 15 mL
- In shallow bowl, combine flour, lemon pepper and dry mustard.
- Dip each chicken breast into flour mixture, shake to removed excess and set on
- In large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons (10 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat.
- When canola oil is hot, add three chicken breasts and cook for 2-3 minutes or
until lightly browned.
- Turn over and cook additional 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove to clean plate.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon (5 mL) canola oil and repeat with remaining three chicken
- To same saucepan, add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) canola oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add shallots and cook 1-2 minutes until translucent; do not brown.
- Add Dijon mustard, tarragon, lemon juice and honey and stir to combine.
- Return all chicken breasts to saucepan, spooning sauce over chicken and cook
4-6 minutes or until chicken has reached internal temperature of 170 degrees F (77
degrees C) on instant-read thermometer.
Yield: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
Nutritional Analysis: Per Serving Calories 200 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat
1g Cholesterol 65mg Sodium 200mg Carbohydrates 10g Fibre 0g Protein 24g
Recipe and photo credit: CanolaInfo.org