This is comfort food, old-fashioned style! The chicken is shredded and stirred
into creamy gravy, and served over biscuits.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 whole chicken (3 pounds.)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 celery rib, cut up
- 1 carrot, cut up
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Homemade or purchased biscuits
- Combine chicken, water, onion, celery, carrot and salt in large pot. Bring
to boil; reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Boil broth until reduced to 3 1/2 cups, about 45 to 60 minutes; strain and
- When chicken is cool, shred meat, discarding skin and bones; set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 to
- Gradually whisk in reserved chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat and
simmer 5 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolk in medium bowl.
- Gradually add 1 cup of the hot broth mixture to yolk, whisking constantly,
and return to saucepan.
- Stir in reserved chicken and the parsley and pepper.
- Serve over biscuits.
Makes 4 cups.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 12/5/2001 10:24 pm.
Source: Ladies'Home Journal
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Skillet Chicken Recipes