Lime Drenched Chicken and Caramelized Onions
- 6 large onions (for about 6 cups of slices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
* Make the caramelized onions ahead of time.
- Caramelized Onions: Peel the onions and cut them into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place the onions in a slow cooker, and drizzle the oil over the slices.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and adjust the heat to HIGH. Cook 8 to
10 hours, until the onions caramelize. They will then have a deep-brown color.
- Leftover onions may be refrigerated, covered, up to three days. They may
be frozen up to one month.
- Chicken: Place the chicken-breast halves, one at a time, between layers
of wax paper. Pound each breast half (see note) so that it is an even 1/2-inch
thick. Peel off the paper. Sprinkle the chicken lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in an extra-deep, 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add the chicken to the skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes on the first side until
- While the chicken cooks, cut the lime in half and cut 1 of the halves into
four wedges. Set the wedges aside.
- Turn the chicken over and squeeze the juice from the remaining lime half
evenly over the chicken. Continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the chicken
is no longer pink in the center.
- Put the chicken on four serving plates.
- Add the onions and garlic to the hot skillet and stir constantly until the
onions are heated through, about 1 minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and top each piece of chicken with about
1/4 cup onions.
- Serve at once, garnished with the reserved lime wedges.
Yield: 4 servings | 3 cups Caramelized Onions
Nutritional information per 1/4-cup serving: 48 calories (42% from fat),
2 grams fat (no saturated fat), no cholesterol, 1 gram protein, 7 grams carbohydrates,
1 gram dietary fiber, 2 milligrams sodium
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Skillet Chicken Recipes