Orange-Apricot Chicken Tagine
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 small skinless chicken breasts, approximately 4 ounces each
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup 100% Florida orange juice
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 saffron thread, optional
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped and toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in tagine and brown chicken breasts for 3 to 5 minutes; remove
chicken breasts and reserve.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger to tagine; sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add orange juice, turmeric, nutmeg, cinnamon and saffron, if desired. Simmer
for 3 minutes; do not boil.
- Add garbanzo beans, apricots and tomatoes. Bring to simmer; add reserved
chicken breasts. Cover tagine and cook for 20 to 30 minutes over low heat until
chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with cashews and cilantro; serve immediately.
- Serve Orange-Apricot Chicken Tagine with cooked couscous.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Florida Department of Citrus