Red Wine Braised Chicken
Serve this brightly colored chicken with heaps of rice to soak up the sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 cup Kalamata
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 to 3 1/4
pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken legs and thighs
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon currant jelly
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, combine the olive oil, garlic,
onion, carrot, bell pepper, olives, thyme and basil.
- Sauté until the onion and pepper are just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken and use tongs to turn and brown on all sides.
- Add the broth, wine and currant jelly.
- Mix well, bring to a simmer, then cover; reduce heat to simmer and cook
for 25 minutes.
- Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil. In a small
cup, mix together the cornstarch and water, then add to the Dutch oven.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken with sauce ladled over it.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional information per serving: 570 cal., 29 g fat (7g sat), 200 mg
chol., 10 g carb., 60 g pro., 2 g fiber, 649 mg sodium