Skillet Chicken with Cheddar Mushroom Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks, white and pale green part only, washed
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Cabot Light Sour Cream
- 1 cup Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- Chopped fresh parsley or chives for garnish, optional
- Remove chicken tenders from breast meat if necessary. Place breasts
between two sheets of plastic wrap or inside a re-sealable plastic bag.
Pound to even thickness with the smooth side of a meat mallet. Remove
chicken from the plastic or bag and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and
pepper all over the chicken and tenders.
- Place flour in a shallow dish and dredge chicken in the flour, until
coated, shaking off excess and setting aside. Reserve 3 tablespoons cup
left-over flour mixture and discard the remainder.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is
shimmering, but not smoking, add chicken to skillet and cook until
browned on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a
plate. Note chicken will continue cooking in step 7.
- Add mushrooms, leeks, rosemary, thyme and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon
salt to the skillet, and cook, stirring until the mushrooms have
released their juices and evaporated and the leeks and mushrooms are
starting to brown slightly, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add wine, increase heat to high, and cook scraping up any browned
bits until the wine has almost completely evaporated, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the reserved 3 tablespoons flour over the mushroom mixture
and stir to coat. Stir in broth and stir until the flour is dissolved.
Bring to a simmer, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Continue cooking
until the sauce is thickened slightly, about 1 minute.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices from the plate to the
skillet and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer,
turning the chicken over in the sauce occasionally until the chicken is
no longer pink in the center and is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes
- Transfer chicken to serving platter.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir light sour cream and cheddar into
the sauce until the cheese is melted.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve. Garnish with parsley or
chives if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe courtesy of Katie Webster.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Cabot Creamery
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Skillet Chicken Recipes