Skillet-Roasted Tarragon Chicken
- 4 (10-12 ounce) bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- Ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position. If not using ovenproof skillet, place
an empty 13 x 9-inch baking dish on the rack, and preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon
oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat, until just smoking. Add chicken, skin-side
down. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes, turning once.
- If using an ovenproof skillet: Transfer to hot oven. If skillet is not ovenproof:
Transfer chicken to the baking dish in the oven, skin-side up. Do not wash skillet.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through and registers 160 degrees F on instant-read
thermometer, 18 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer to plate, cover with
foil, and let rest while making sauce.
- If oil and other liquid in skillet has cooked out, add up to the remaining
2 teaspoons oil to skillet; place over medium-high heat until oil is shimmering.
- Add shallot and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in broth and wine, scraping up any browned bits; simmer until reduced and
slightly syrupy, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in any accumulated chicken juices, pouring them from the baking dish,
if used. Turn heat to low and whisk in butter, one piece at a time.
- Off heat, stir in tarragon and season with salt and pepper to taste. If
using dried tarragon, continue to cook over medium-low heat 1 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 460 calories, 2g carbohydrates, 50.5g protein, 25g total fat
(9.5g saturated), 162mg cholesterol, 148mg sodium, no fiber. Calories from fat:
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Skillet Chicken Recipes