Southwestern Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch-squares
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 1/2 cup peach salsa
- Drain pineapple, reserving syrup.
- In a mixing cup combine cornstarch, reserved syrup, and soy sauce until smooth.
- In a medium skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add
chicken strips, stir-frying until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan. Keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add peppers and cook until
crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add salsa and pineapple chunks. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook until mixture
boils and thickens, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Return chicken to pan and heat through.
Yield: 4 servings