This is a 1982 Memphis in May prize-winning recipe. The Orange Dipping Sauce
needs to be made several days before serving.
Orange Dipping Sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 dried Japanese red peppers
- 2 teaspoons grated
- 4 chicken breasts, de-boned
- 4 tablespoons Japanese
- 4 tablespoons sweet sake
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 1 clove
- 2 oranges
- 4 scallions
- Orange Dipping Sauce: Cut peppers into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In saucepan, mix all ingredients, stirring constantly. Bring to boil. Reduce
heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate for several days before using.
- Chicken: Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Mix next 4 ingredients. Marinate
chicken in this mixture for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Coat chicken pieces evenly with cornstarch. (Let cornstarch on chicken become
moist before cooking.) Deep fat fry chicken pieces until golden brown. Drain
on paper towels.
- Cut oranges into 1/4-inch slices, then in half. Cut scallions at an angle
into bite-size pieces, including tops. Put orange slices on platter, then chicken
pieces. Sprinkle scallions over top.