Please do not use cooking wine in this recipe (or any recipe for that matter). The drinking wine is far preferable.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced or left whole
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter (do not substitute)
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- Place chicken breasts between wax paper and use a meat mallet to pound the breasts to make uniform-size filets.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper (reserve 3 tablespoons for making a sauce).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Dredge chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. Brown both sides of chicken over medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from skillet, and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté mushrooms with minced garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Dust the mushrooms with the reserved 2-3 tablespoons seasoned flour to make a sauce.
- Add Marsala wine and simmer to reduce by half.
- Stir in butter to make a rich sauce. If the sauce gets too thick, thin with a little chicken broth.
- Return chicken to pan, reduce to simmer and cover. Cook until chicken no longer pink.
- Serve over rice or buttered egg noodles.
Yield: 4 servings