Apricot Amaretto Stuffed Cornish Hens
- 1 cup dried apricots, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup Amaretto liqueur
- 3 Bays English Muffins, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted*
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 Cornish hens
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bacon slices, cut in half
- 1/4 cup plum jam
- In a small saucepan, combine dried apricots, apple juice and amaretto; bring
to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine Bays English Muffin pieces, almonds, melted butter,
cinnamon and cooked apricot mixture; mix well.
- Remove inside bag from each Cornish hen; discard. Rinse each hen and pat
dry. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt inside each cavity. Stuff each hen with muffin
mixture. Skewer or sew opening together. Place hens breast-side up on rack in
shallow roasting pan. Place bacon slice over each breast. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan over low heat, melt plum jam, stirring frequently.
- Discard bacon, roast hens, uncovered at 350 degrees F for 15 more minutes,
basting with plum jam every 5 minutes.
- Remove skewers or thread from hens. Garnish as desired.
* To toast almonds, spread on cookie sheet, bake at 375 degrees F for 5
to 6 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo credit: Bay's English Muffins