Cornish Game Hens with Sweet Cherry Sauce
- 3 (23 to 25 ounce) Cornish game hens, thawed
- 1 (16-ounce) can dark sweet cherries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed thyme
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Orange peel curls, fresh marjoram and thyme, for garnish
- Prepare Cornish game hens according to package directions. Split each in
half after cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cherry sauce. Drain the cherries, reserving juice.
Add water to juice to make 1 cup liquid.
- Combine cherry liquid, honey, rum, orange peel, marjoram and thyme in a
medium saucepan; mix well.
- Combine orange juice and cornstarch; mix until smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to honey mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat,
stirring frequently. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thick.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cherries. Spoon about 1/3 cup cherry sauce over
each cooked game hen half.
- Garnish with orange peel curls and fresh marjoram and thyme, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Rice and steamed asparagus spears or Brussels sprouts make good accompaniments
for this meal.
Recipe credit: National Cherry Growers Foundation