Honey-Lemon Glazed Cornish Hens
with Walnut Rice Stuffing
This recipe is festive enough for company, but simple enough for weekday meals.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup leeks or shallots, chopped
- 2 2/3 cups rice, white or brown, long-grain, cooked, parboiled
- 1 cup California walnuts, chopped, toasted
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 4 teaspoons thyme leaves, fresh
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Cornish hens, about 1 1/2 pounds each
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add leeks; sauté until just tender.
Stir in rice, walnuts, parsley, lemon rind and thyme. Season with salt and pepper;
set aside. Rinse Cornish hens and pat dry; season inside and out with salt and pepper.
Stuff cavity with rice mixture. Tuck wings underneath and tie legs together. Place
with breast side up in large roasting pan.
- Bake in 375 degrees F oven for
1 hour or until juices run clear, basting several times with pan drippings.
- In small bowl, whisk together honey and lemon juice. Brush Cornish hens with
honey glaze during last 15 minutes of cooking; baste several times with glaze and
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove tie from legs.
Total Time 1 Hr, 35 Mins | Cook Time 1 Hr , 15 Mins
Active Time 20 Mins |
The walnut rice stuffing can also be enjoyed as a side dish with chicken,
pork or fish. Place in casserole dish, adding 2/3 cup chicken broth. Cover and bake
in 375 degrees F oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition 380 Calories Fat 24g Saturated Fat 6g Monounsaturated Fat 9g Polyunsaturated
Fat 8g Cholesterol 120mg Sodium 75mg Carbohydrates 18g Dietary Fiber 2g Protein
Reprinted with permission from
the California Walnut Board.