Little Red Hens
This is a favorite recipe from the California Strawberry Advisory Board.
- 6 Cornish game hens (about 1 pound each)
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 1 pint basket fresh California strawberries, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Parsley sprigs
- Rub hens inside and outside with garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place on rack, spaced apart, in shallow baking pan.
- Roast in 350 degree F oven 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze. In 1-quart saucepan combine 1/2 cup of the water,
the bouillon and jelly. Stir over medium heat to melt jelly. In container of
electric blender combine 1 cup of the berries and the vinegar. Blend until smooth,
scraping sides of container as needed. Stir berry mixture into bouillon mixture.
- Mix cornstarch with the remaining 2 tablespoons water. Stir into berry mixture.
Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly. After hens
have roasted for 30 minutes, brush all over with glaze. Continue to roast 30
to 40 minutes, brushing frequently with glaze, until juices run clear when pricked
with a fork.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve hot or chilled with the remaining berries.
Yield: 6 servings