Baked Ham with Balsamic
Brown Sugar Glaze
Balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and mustard - now that's an easy way to ham
- 6 to 8-pound fully cooked smoked bone-in ham
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Orange slices, if desired
- Maraschino cherries, if desired
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Place ham, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting
pan. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of ham and does not
touch bone or rest in fat.
- Cover loosely and bake 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours
15 minutes or until thermometer reads 135 degrees F (13 to 17 minutes per pound).
- About 20 minutes before ham is done, remove from oven.
- Pour drippings from
- Remove any skin from ham.
- Mix brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; pat or
brush on ham.
- ake uncovered 20 minutes longer.
- Cover ham loosely and let stand about 10 minutes or until thermometer reads
140 degrees F.
- Garnish with orange slices and cherries.
Yield: 12 servings
While the ham stands for 10 minutes, the temperature will continue to rise about
5 degrees. You'll notice that the ham will be easier to carve as the juices
Special Touch: Although this ham is delicious on its own, you may want to serve
it with honey mustard, horseradish sauce, applesauce or a fruit chutney.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 225 (Calories from Fat 55); Total
Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 1320mg; Total
Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars ncg); Protein 23g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 Lean Meat
Recipe and photo credit: Betty Crocker Kitchens and General Mills.