Baked Ham with Mojo Sauce and Papaya Salsa
- 16 cloves garlic, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup finely slivered onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh orange juice (from 3 or 4 oranges)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 or 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups Mojo Sauce
- 1 bone-in ready-to-eat ham (about 14 to 16 pounds)
- About 16 whole cloves
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 ripe papayas (about 1 pound each)
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon seeded, finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- Finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Prepare Mojo Sauce ahead of time. Set aside 2 cups of the sauce for serving.
- Mojo Sauce: In a medium bowl, combine garlic, onion, cumin, and salt and
pepper. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the onion
mixture and cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the orange
juice, lime juice and vinegar and cook another 5 minutes for the flavors to
blend. Cool to room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Ham: Place ham in shallow roasting pan; score a diamond pattern about 1/8-inch
thick into the upper surface of the ham. Insert a clove at the crossed points
of the diamonds.
- Brush the ham with the mustard and sprinkle it with the brown sugar. Pour
1 cup of the Mojo Sauce over the top. Bake in the center of the heated oven
for 2 hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion
(not touching bone) registers 140 degrees F (about 15-18 minutes per pound),
basting every 20-30 minutes, alternating with 1/4 cup each white wine and remaining
- Transfer ham to platter. Let stand 15 minutes; slice and serve with the
reserved 2 cups of Mojo Sauce and Papaya Salsa.
- Papaya Salsa: Peel and seed the papaya and cut it into 1/4-inch dice. Place
in a medium-size bowl. Gently fold the tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro
and lime zest into the papaya. Toss in the lime juice.
- Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use, no longer than 4 hours.
Yield: 30 servings | 4 cups Mojo Sauce | about 4 cups Papaya Salsa
Nutrition Facts: Calories 420; Protein 29 grams; Fat 29 grams; Sodium 1580
milligrams; Cholesterol 80 milligrams; Saturated Fat 9 grams; Carbohydrates 10 grams;
Fiber 1 gram
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Pork Council - porkbeinspired.com
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Ham Recipes