Black Walnut Ham Steak Schnitzel
Black Walnut Ham Steak Schnitzel is studded with walnut breading and served with
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree, canned
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider, fresh
cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg,
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon.
- 1 cup Hammons Black Walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs,
- 1 (1.25 pounds) boneless ham steak, fully cooked, hickory smoked
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare pumpkin-cider sauce. Place the pumpkin puree, apple cider, chicken
broth and spices in a bowl and whisk to evenly combine then gently warm in the
microwave. Reserve warm.
- Slice the whole ham steak into 4 equal pieces, trimming off any fat on the
steaks. Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel to help the breading adhere.
- Prepare the breading ingredients. Evenly combine the flour, sage and black
pepper and place in a shallow dish. Evenly combine the black walnuts and panko
breadcrumbs and place in a shallow dish. Dip a ham steak into the seasoned flour
shaking off any excess, then into the eggs allowing any excess egg to drip off,
then lastly into the black walnut/panko mix lightly pressing the mixture into
the ham steak to evenly coat all sides.
- Transfer the coated ham steaks onto a baking pan, fitted with a wire rack.
Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes. The ham steak should have an even golden
brown color, crispy/crunchy outside texture and tender/juicy inside. The breading
should not be dark in color.
- Serve warm with the pumpkin-cider sauce.
Recipe and photo credit:
Hammons Products Company.