Add a splash of bourbon to a simple mustard and brown sugar glaze to compliment the smoky flavors of this precooked ham.
The larger amount of molasses gives dark brown sugar its darker color and stronger flavor.
Use any leftover ham to make sandwiches and save the bone for making soup!
- 1 fully cooked smoked bone-in half ham (9 to 10 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1/4 cup bourbon or apple juice
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray shallow roasting pan or 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Ham, fat side up, on rack in shallow pan. Score outside of ham in diamond pattern; insert cloves into diamond shapes. (To make inserting cloves easier, use small paring knife or toothpick to make small holes before inserting cloves.) Insert ovenproof meat thermometer in thickest part of ham. Bake 1 hour.
- In small bowl, stir together brown sugar, mustard and bourbon. Brush 1/2 of brown sugar mixture evenly over ham.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Brush with remaining brown sugar mixture. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes longer or until thermometer reads 140 degrees F. If pan drippings start to burn, add up to 1/4 cup water to pan.
- Remove ham from oven; cover with foil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes for easier carving.
Prep: 15 min | Total: 2 hr 50 min | Yield: 16 servings
Nutritional Information 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 1660mg; Total Carbohydrate 16g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 13g), Protein 29g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0.00%; Vitamin C 0.00%; Calcium 2.00%; Iron 15.00%
Exchanges: 1 Other Carbohydrate; 4 Very Lean Meat; 1 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 1
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.