Coca-Cola Country Ham
- 1 (14 pound) country ham
- 1 quart Coca-Cola
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice
- 6 peppercorns
- Water to cover
- Soak the ham overnight covered in water. Cut ham hock off with a hacksaw
so the ham will fit in your pot or roaster.
- Put Coca-Cola, cloves, allspice and peppercorns in a large pot to which
the ham has been added. Cover with water. Simmer ham for 25 minutes per pound.
- Partly cool ham in water in which it was cooked. Skin the ham. Trim fat
to 1/2-inch thickness. Stud entire ham with whole cloves placed 1/4 inch apart.
Cover ham and cloves with a 1/2 inch layer of dark brown sugar.
- Bake ham at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Put a mixture of 1 cup Coca-Cola and 1 cup water in the pan to prevent burning.
You may have to renew some of the water. If the sugar gets very black, turn
heat down to 250 degrees F and bake an extra 30 minutes. The sugar should be
caramelized with a dark brown, almost black, appearance.
- Cool, then slice thinly.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.