Madeira Baked Smithfield Ham
- 1 (15 1/2 pound) fully cooked smoked Smithfield ham or Tennessee ham
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (750 ml) bottle Madeira
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim rind and excess fat from ham, leaving 1/4-inch-thick layer of fat.
- Place ham on roasting rack set in heavy large roasting pan. Spread butter over
ham. Sprinkle nutmeg over ham. Pour Madeira into pan.
- Bake ham until well glazed
and dark brown, basting every 10 minutes with pan juices, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Let ham stand for at least 20 minutes.
- Thinly slice ham, beginning at shank end and proceeding at angle toward
thicker part of ham.
- Serve ham hot or at room temperature.